Tuesday, 18 December 2012

I would like to wish all my blogging friends a Happy Christmas and a happy New Year
Love Susan!

My first tatted snowfkake

This is a snowflake that I tried from my new book, Easy Tatting.

Wool holder

This is a wool holder that I made, I took the tatting pattern from Mary Koniors book, Tatting with visual patterns. The pattern is called bud fragments on pg 83.
I joined all the buds together to make the pattern.

Friday, 14 December 2012

Buying new books

I have just finished my last Christmas present project and will be posting it soon, I am waiting for a good day to take a photo as today the weather is pouring with rain and so dark. I have ordered two new tatting books one of them came yesterday it is called-

Easy Tatting   by Rozella Florence Linden 

I have had a quick look at the book and the patterns are very clear, I thought the book would have been a bit thicker as it is more the size of a magazine but the information inside is good and that is all that matters. There looks some nice snowflake patterns so I think I will give them a try.

The second book that I have ordered is-

Tatting Adventures with beads, shuttle and needle   by Judith Connors

I will have to wait a few days yet for this to come so I will post what I think of it later.

Monday, 10 December 2012

A matching box set

I have been making this as a Christmas present, only one more thing now to make! I decorated the boxes with a hearts and flowers design with a stumpwork flower in the middle. I have taken close up pictures of the lids so that you can see the design more clearly.

Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Circular tatted pot

This is the finished pot made with the circular tatting. I was happy how the lid turned out but I think  the sides of the pot dont look quite right, it looks like the flowers have been stuck on, I should have maybe put decoration all the way round. What do you all think?

Friday, 23 November 2012

Tatting circle

This is a pattern I used from the book Tatting with visual patterns, I am making another round pot and this is going to go on the lid, I will be posting it on my blog later in the week.

Wednesday, 14 November 2012

floral embroidered box

This is a box that I made and now have sold, it is one of my favourites as I have used rayon thread which gives the flowers a nice shine to them. The lid I have made scented by placing a lavender bag inside the wadding.

 The edging is made by tatted rings and beads

The stitches used are cast on stitch for the roses,bullion stitch for the large flowers, fern stitch for the leaves and french knots made with ribbon for the central flowers.

Thursday, 8 November 2012

Tatted Heart card

I have been spending this week doing more tatting, I thought I would try using two colours, it was easier than I thought it would be. Again my design ended up being another card but it worked well I thought and the colours look pretty.
Has anyone out there got any solution to the problem of twisted picots which kept happening, I tried letting the thread and shuttle dangle but the pecots were still twisting. If you can help please let me know.

On this picture you can clearly see the twisted picots.

Saturday, 3 November 2012

Christmas scene card

I have been making another Christmas card this week. I had the idea of doing a snow scene,the stitches that I have used are varying lengths of straight stitch for the snow, I was a bit disappointed with the snow as I thought it would look much whiter, may be the one strand of cotton was to thin. The bushes I used fly stitch and french knots for the berries. I framed the scene with ribbon and added glitter to the card to brighten it all up and make it more like Christmas.

Tuesday, 30 October 2012


This is a pot that i made from a cardboard tube that i had at home, i always new that one day i would find a use for it. To cover the tube i had to slit it down the side in order to flatten it out. The next stage was to cut a piece of material about 2cm bigger than the tube and then attach the tatting before stretching the material over the cardboard. I then turned a hem on a second piece of material which was cut to the same size as the first and sewn down all the way round so that both sides are covered. The pot shape is then created by hand sewing down the side.
The lid was made by cutting two circles of card covering both with material, putting them both together like a sandwich and hand sewing all the way round, the bottom is also made in the same way. The bottom was attached by blanket stitching.
I made the tatting decoration by tatting a long line of rings which was tied together to create the frilly petals.
I hope all this makes sense but if anyone wants to make one and needs any help i will be happy to help.

Monday, 22 October 2012

I have been learning myself tatting, this is a piece of tatting lace that I have made which will be used on my next project.

Friday, 19 October 2012


These are a selection of my embroidered cards, I have my full collection on flickr.

Thursday, 18 October 2012

the edging is made by tatting, the lid is also laventer scented.

keepsake box

This is a keepsake box that I made by covering a gift box, the design is a stumpwork flower with a covered button in the middle. The decoration around the button is made by tatting. I am only just learning tatting and these were the first items that I have made.
Welcome all crafters to my blog, I am interested in crafts especially embroidery, I have tried all different types of embroidery and love stumpwork. I try in my work to mix and match different styles which you can see in my cards and boxes.