Tuesday, 19 November 2013

knitting and my old card collection

Hi, I thought that I would give you all an update on my knitting, I have completed the back and half of the left side of my cardigan, it is going ok but I find one of my fingers keeps aching!


I thought that I would show you some of my old cards that I have in my keepsake box, they were kept by my grandma and passed on to me, I was thirteen when she died. Many times when I went to visit she would get the box out and show me the cards and tell me all about her life, times were hard in those days as they all came from mining families. The cards are mostly to or from her mother, Martha. I have counted all the cards and there are 188 in total all similar to the ones I have posted.


 
This first one is the oldest dated 1921, some may be older as they all don't have dates


This on is my favourite and is dated 1924
 
dated 1927
 
 
 
These are dated 1920s and 30s, notice how they change from mostly vellum in the 20s to using more card in the 30s.
 
 
These are the smallest cards only 2x3in



Going into the 1940s and the cards change in style to post cards, these are very brighly coloured.
 
I could have posted more but it was hard to decide which one to show they all have their own beauty, I hope that you have enjoyed my little blast from the past, maybe some of you have cards like mine that you treasure!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, you worked so hard on your knitting, well done! The cards are a real treasure, thanks for sharing these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cards are so beautiful, they all look like they are in such good condition - what a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kim, yes all the cards have been looked after!

      Delete
  3. your knitting is coming along a treat Sue, you really have mastered the tension well, I have had to stop because of joint pain in the fingers.

    What wonderful cards to have and some so very old, I expect you often browse through them so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, it is nice to look back from time to time and remember!

      Delete
  4. Great progress on the cardigan. Are you sure you are a first time knitter?
    The cards are beauties and it is easy to see where your urge to make cards come from.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Queenie, yes I have not knitted before, I have made a few mistakes and had to undo along the way but nothing major. I am learning a lot from this project, the best way is to get stuck in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be a beautiful sweater Susan. The cable knitting looks wonderful. Those are gorgeous cards and what treasures. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete